Large-scale livestock farms using biogas technology report that they are only able to utilize about 20-30 percent of the electricity generated from biogas, with the remainder going to waste due to a lack of suitable consumption options.
The Vietnam Ruminant Husbandry Association has recently requested the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) to check and re-evaluate the information posted online that imported live cows that have not been checked, quarantined, disinfected, and decontaminated but still have quarantine paper; if it is true, there will be a risk of spreading many dangerous diseases to domestic livestock, causing great damage to the domestic livestock industry.
The Trade Promotion Agency under the Ministry of Industry and Trade, on July 28, said that it has been coordinating with the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) and relevant units to organize several promotion activities to support the domestic livestock industry.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development was asked to closely monitor African swine fever and bird flu, and ensure early detection for preventing the two epidemics from spreading on a large scale.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD), on March 18, in Hanoi, held a conference to discuss solutions to promote the development of pig farming and strengthen the management of production and trading of animal feed in Vietnam.
The shortage of supply from Russia and Ukraine has caused the prices of raw materials for global production, such as wheat and corn, to surge by 10-20 percent, and fertilizer prices to soar by more than 20 percent lately, negatively affecting livestock and crop production.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD), on October 25, denied the information that domestic live pork prices dropped steeply partly because authorities had allowed importing pork massively into Vietnam.
Amid the situation that pork prices plunged steeply, which possibly causes farmers to abandon pig farming and the food supply to face a shortage at the end of the year, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Le Minh Hoan had a field trip to localities and offered many solutions.
In the long term, the Chairman of the Vietnam Poultry Association said that it is necessary to consider soon reducing dependence on the import market by actively producing and supplying raw materials for animal feed domestically.
According to the Agricultural Outlook of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, in 2020, the average beef consumption in Vietnam was 9.2 kilogram per person per year. However, domestic production merely met 30 percent of beef production, and the remaining 70 percent were imported from other countries.
The People's Committee of Ho Chi Minh City has sent documents to localities ordering pig repopulation under the "Project on restructuring the pig industry in the period from 2021 to 2025" to revive husbandry, reduce the risk of disease recurrence, and meet consumer demand.
According to figures by the General Statistics Office of Vietnam, in the period from 2008 to 2018, meat production increased by more than 1.5 times; eggs rose by 2.3 times; fresh milk climbed by 3.6 times; and industrial animal feed surged by 2.4 times.